Born into the respectable and industrious family of Mallam Abdu Lukat and Hajiya Huwaila Abdu Lukat in the ancient city of Kano, Hajiya Amina Mohammed Namadi Sambo is the third child in a family of eleven.
She began her educational pursuit with her enrolment at Therbow School, Zaria after which she proceeded to the famous St. Louis Secondary School, Kano for her secondary education. Having passed her School Certificate Examination with flying colours, the young Amina was admitted into the prestigious Bayero University, Kano for her tertiary education where she graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science. In furtherance of her academic pursuit and search for knowledge, Hajiya Amina Sambo later attended Al-Manar International College, Kaduna where she obtained a diploma in Arabic and Islamic Studies.
As an astute and accomplished entrepreneur and business woman, Hajiya Sambo has successfully founded and nurtured a number of business ventures, contributing her quota to the development of the nation’s economy and providing employment to several Nigerians.
Hajiya Amina Mohammed Namadi Sambo as a consummate humanist and philanthropist, is the Founder, initiator and Chairperson of ‘I Care – Women and Youth Initiative’, a non-governmental organization established with the primary objective of improving the lives and well-being of women, the youth and the less privileged members of the society. To practicalize the vision behind her pet project and as the mother of the State, when her husband was the Executive Governor of Kaduna State, Hajiya Amina Sambo’s pet project provided humanitarian and philanthropic services to several individuals and communities across the state , as well as providing economic empowerment, health care delivery and giving succour on environmental related issues.
Her ‘I Care-Women and Youth Initiative’ initiated poverty alleviation programme which distributed empowerment tools to 150 groups/associations; provided funds that was distributed to over 40 persons for establishment of small and medium scale ventures; sponsored training of about 400 women and youth in various computer and vocational skills. Furthermore; another 140 women and youth received grants and micro-credit facilities.
In the area of health care delivery service, Hajiya Amina Sambo has provided free medical care to pregnant women and children under 5 years. She also donated free drugs to 30 Primary Health Clinics and Hospitals across the State; provided free acupuncture to 100 persons in need of cure for varying illnesses as well as carried out free eye surgery to 576 persons with cataract and other related eye diseases.
In addition to these, Her Excellency through her NGO, championed the crusade against HIV/AIDS through sponsorship of awareness and sensitization programmes to empower victims of the dreaded disease with entrepreneurial tools for self sustenance to help in reducing stigmatization. She also partnered with the World Bank to implement a project titled “Increasing Access to HIV/AIDS information and services to males and females out of school, youths and women in Purdah” and has published an HIV book that has been distributed widely for free.
Hajiya Amina Mohammed Namadi Sambo has equally carried out community awareness campaigns on health; environmental sanitation and personal hygiene in schools and communities. She has undertaken door to door distribution of Insecticides Treated Nets (ITN) to pregnant women and children under 5years in order to fight malaria and also embarked on door to door administration of polio vaccines in an attempt to eradicate polio in the country. ‘I Care has also been involved in carrying out sensitization workshop on reducing maternal morbidity and mortality targeting stakeholders, traditional leaders, traditional birth attendants and collaborating partners as change agents.
A strong advocate on gender matters, Hajiya Amina Sambo has been in the vanguard of fight for the education of the girl child and has carried out sensitization of the society laying emphasis on enrolment, retention and completion of girl-child education. Her gender activism also touches on definitive action on gender based violence as she is collaborating with International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA), Kaduna State Branch to ensure prosecution of offenders against women rights.
Hajiya Amina Sambo has demonstrated candour, dedication and uncommon passion in her meritorious service to humanity. In recognition of this at home and abroad, she has been conferred with several awards which includes;
• Madarasatul Ulumul Quran Honours for service to Islam in Nigeria and abroad, and Platinum award as patron of the Organization – ‘Project for Excellence’;
• An award for service to humanity by the Centre for Technology Entrepreneurship Education and Community Empowerment (CTEECE) Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna;
• An Award of Excellence by the International Islamic Relief Organization (IIRO) Saudi Arabia;
• An Award as Ambassador for Gender and Water by an International Organization based in the Netherlands known as Gender and Water Alliance;
• An award in recognition of her contribution towards the prevention of maternal mortality and child care presented by the Nigerian Medical Association, (NMA);
• An award by the National Association of Special Education Teachers (NASET);
• The Health Performance Award by Journalists against Polio for her untiring fight against the disease and the eradication of HIV/AIDS by the Christian Association of Nigeria Youth Wing;
• Global Peace Award by Women for Peace in Nigeria;
• An Award of Excellence by Nigeria Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ);
• Passionate supporter of Women and Children Award by NLC Women Committee, Kaduna;
• Role Model Award by Great Heights Academy;
• Platinum Member, Fountain University Patron’s Club;
• Lifetime Achievement Award by Baseline Global Ventures;
• Award of Pride To Womanhood by the Ladies of St. Mulumba, Nigeria Queen of Apostles Catholic Church, Kaduna;
In her leisure time, she engages in reading, cooking and sundry humanitarian services. Her best cuisine is Tuwon alkama and miyan kuka. Hajiya Amina Mohammed Namadi Sambo also holds the traditional titles of Etun Amba Numana of Sanga Land, Gimbiya of Kagarko, Uwar Maraya and Mujahidar Addini. Recently, she was made the Matron, Ansar-Ud-Deen Society of Nigeria, Makurdi Benue State.
Hajiya Amina Namadi Sambo, the wife of the Vice President of Nigeria is a mother of six lovely children.